The Legends of the Rocking Dutchman - episode 172
A great and enjoyable mix again today, featuring highlights such as the sultry voice of Helen Humes doing one of her typical sad blues, some fantastic trumpet work on a blues of Dinah Washington, Savannah Churchill at her best in a '42 recording with Jimmy Lytell and to start with, one of the earliest electrical recordings of the great Ethel Waters.
Enough reasons to tune in again, I'd think.
- Ethel Waters - I've Found a New Baby
- Duke Ellington - Rocking In Rhythm
- Andy Kirk & his Twelve Clouds of Joy - I'se A-Muggin'
- Victoria Spivey - How Do They Do It That Way
- Charlie Burse & His Memphis Mudcats - Radio Blues
- Sam Price & His Texas Blusicians - Do You Dig My Jive
- Dinah Washington - Resolution Blues
- Helen Humes - Did You Ever Love a Man
- Big Three Trio - 88 Boogie
- Dirty Red - Home Last Night
- Hubert Robinson - Old Woman Boogie
- Zuzu Bollin - Cry, Cry, Cry
- Ray Charles - Walkin' and Talkin'
- Iona Wade - Why Don't You Tell Me So
- Roy Milton - Keep a dollar in your pocket
- Five Breezes - Just A Jitterbug
- Savannah Churchill & Her All-Star Seven - Tell Me Your Blues
The following music served as background music during the spoken parts:
- Wild Bill Moore Sextette - Bongo Bounce
- Kirk Kirkland - The Saxaphone Rag
- Cozy Eggleston - Big Heavy
- Eddie Chamblee - Lazy Mood
- Karl George Octet - Peek-a-boo
- Lynn Hope - Tenderly
- Washboard Rhythm Kings - Bug-A-Boo